At our clinics, we do the work so you don’t have to.
- We collect all your lab specimens at the clinic and forward to the labs. There is no need for you to visit a lab on your own except prior to the followup visit.
- We dispense the medications at the clinic so there is no need to visit the pharmacist and return to the clinic to take your medication (the law requires you to take the first pill in front of the physician).
- We do all the ultrasounds for first and follow-up appointments at the clinic. There is no need for an external ultrasound, unless there are complications.
- We bill most 3rd party insurance companies on your behalf so there is no need to pay up front and collect later.
- We will reciprocal bill out of province patients on your behalf.
- Uninsured and out of country patients are welcome.
Appointment Overview: Medical Termination of Pregnancy Procedure (pregnancy termination pill)
- There are several steps to a medical termination of pregnancy.
- Upon arrival, you will be greeted by a receptionist who will ask you to complete a medical history form and review pre-counselling material.
- The nurse/counsellor will then meet with you privately to talk about whether ending your pregnancy is the right decision for you, and what your various options are (see Surgical compared to medication termination of pregnancy).
- The nurse/counsellor will then review your medical history along with what to expect with a medical termination of pregnancy, how to take the medications, follow up plans, as well as answering any questions or concerns you may have (see
What happens during a medical termination).
- You will meet with the physician to assess your eligibility to take the pregnancy termination pill safely.
- A dating ultrasound will be done to ensure that your pregnancy is less than 9 weeks (63 days).
- You will require a blood test.
- If your blood type is Rh-negative you will be given a WinRho (RhoGAM) injection to protect future pregnancies.
- If deemed safe, you will take a Mifepristone tablet (200 mg) under the supervision of your doctor (Step 1).
- You will be provided with a kit to take home that includes the 4 tablets called Misoprostol (to take between 24 to 48 hours after taking Mifepristone).
- You will be reminded that a second blood test is required in 7 days from your first clinic visit. This test can be done at any laboratory for your convenience.
- You will be offered a follow-up appointment in 14 to 21 days from your first clinic visit but you can also book this follow up visit with your preferred healthcare professional if more convenient.
Please remember that our Clinic is always available should you have any questions during your medical termination of pregnancy.